Enroll Your Child
Guilford County Schools is all about choices, and we want to be your first choice.
From magnet schools focusing on math and science, performing arts, advanced academics, language immersion
or Montessori; Career and Technical Education courses; Advanced Placement classes; nine early and middle colleges and much more, GCS is the right choice for your child.
We want to make it easy for you to join the GCS family. Here's how:
Which school will my child attend?
Find out which school your child is assigned to, based on your address,
by accessing the School Assignment Locator,
calling the Student Assignment Office at 336-370-8303,
or contacting a nearby school.
What do I need to know to enroll my child?
All Guilford County Schools students must reside with a parent or court-appointed
legal guardian who is a district resident. Students new to the district
will need to bring the following to their school's registration office,
regardless of the student's grade level.
(the same information is needed to enroll new kindergarten students):
- Certified copy of birth certificate
- Immunization records
- North Carolina Health Assessment Transmittal Form (required for any student K-12 enrolling
from outside of the state of North Carolina or from a private or charter school setting that does not
have a N.C. Health Assessment Transmittal Form on file and has not been previously enrolled in GCS )
- North Carolina General Statutes require that an Affidavit of Student in Good Standing (click here for Spanish be completed by the parent or court-appointed guardian/custodian for any new student transferring to GCS from another school outside our district. This does not pertain to students who are transferring within GCS or for students who have never been enrolled in a public or private school (for instance, first-time kindergarten students or students that have always attended home school).
- Proof of residence/address (See acceptable forms of proof of residence below)
Acceptable Forms of Proof of Residence
Proof of address to verify the domicile of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian in ONE of the following forms:
- Current, original gas, oil, water or electric bill in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian. (Telephone and cable television bills are not acceptable.)
- Official lease agreement in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
- Driver's license (or State ID card from Department of Motor Vehicles) and voter registration card (obtain from the Board of Elections Office - not the Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV will not provide documentation of voter registration). These items must be in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
- Driver's license (or State ID card) and car registration in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
- Driver's license (or State ID card) and letter from employer verifying address of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian. Letter from employer must be on company letterhead.
- Driver's license (or State ID card) or voter registration card and Medicaid card in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
Guilford County Schools will take care of requesting records from
your child's previous school.
Enrolling Students (Non-routine):
In the following instances, persons wishing to enroll students in Guilford County Schools should contact the Student Assignment Office for instructions:
- Student lives with individual other than parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/ custodian
- Student lives with one parent but wishes to attend school in the attendance zone of the other parent
- Parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian lives outside Guilford County and wishes student to attend Guilford County Schools
- Parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian is homeless or unable to obtain appropriate proof of address
- Student is at least 18 years of age and is financially independent
Kindergarten registration is held in the spring each year. Students who will be five years of age on or before August 31 should register at the elementary school he or she is assigned to, based on the domicile address of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
Please visit our Kindergarten page to learn more about enrolling your rising kindergartner in one of our schools.
Each student enrolled in Guilford County Schools is assigned
to an elementary, middle or high school in one of four ways:
1) based on the attendance are in which the student's
parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian resides,
2) through application to a magnet or
high school option program,
3) through the reassignment process as
detailed in Board of Education policy JBCC, or
4) through compliance with federal laws.
Student assignment is based on the following guidelines:
- Domicile of parent(s) or court-appointed
guardian/custodian (where you live)
- Discovery and development of individual
student's gifts and talents
- Parent choice of the appropriate educational
program for the child
- Efficient use of facilities
- Determination by school staff that student meets the
criteria of homeless children and youth as
defined by the McKinney-Vento
Homeless Assistance Act of 2001