USM Fellowship Scheme
The USM Fellowship Scheme is a prestigious postgraduate funding programme awarded by the University to outstanding postgraduates who have passions in research and demonstrate leadership qualities. This Fellowship is offered to full-time academically outstanding local and international research mode candidates on a yearly basis. Under the tutelage of their supervisors, USM Fellowship recipients are trained in academic writing and publishing to enable them to become effective researchers.
The USM Fellowship covers tuition and thesis examination fees. A monthly stipend is also provided.The amount varies from year to year as displayed in the following table.
Master candidates may be funded for a maximum of two years while PhD candidates, up to three years.
The cost of other fees, and expenses like traveling, personal bond, health insurance, visa, are not included and are borne by the candidate themselves. Applicants are encouraged to obtain fundings from other sources to pay for these items.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
The USM Fellowship is open to current postgraduate students of Universiti Sains Malaysia.
• Applicants pursuing Masters degree:
1) Must be in their first 2 semesters of their candidature.
2) Must have a Bachelor's Degree with a CGPA>3.25 or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Malaysian Government.
• Applicants pursuing Doctoral degree:
1) Must be in their first 4 semesters of their candidature.
2) Must have a Bachelor’s Degree with a CGPA>3.25 or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Malaysian Government
a Master’s Degree by coursework/mixed mode with CGPA>3.25 or a Master’s Degree by research mode with at least one (1) article published in a peer-reviewed journals or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Malaysian Government.
- Academic honours, awards and scholarships.
- Other postgraduate degrees.
- Conference papers.
- Past relevant research.
- Community service experience.
We strongly recommend that all applicants to apply online and submit their application and all required documents well before the closing date. Incomplete applications will not be entertained. The date of application will be announced through our website from time to time.
Students with financial assistance (e.g., NSF/PGD/IDB/RLKA/ASTS) are not eligible to apply.
Fellowship holders are required to submit prove of manuscript submission to the University during the first funded year. This action may contribute towards the extension of the fellowship.
USM Fellowship holders are required to publish in high impact factor or in peer reviewed journals. The publication requirement at the to levels of postgraduate studies are :
- Master level : minimum of one(1) publication
- PhD level : minimum of two (2) publications
Any publication due to this requirement must acknowledge the support of USM Fellowship.
USM holds and reserves the right to publications and all intellectual property rights supported by and arising from USM Fellowship.
HOW TO APPLY
1. THE PTPTN EDUCATION LOAN SCHEME
Providing education loans to students pursuing their studies in local institutions of higher learning (IPT). This loan will enable students to fully or partially pay their fees and their subsistence for the duration of their studies in the IPT. Thus, this scheme provides greater opportunities to students to continue their tertiary education.
Further information http://www.ptptn.gov.my
MyBrain15 Programme under the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia
The MyBrain15 is a special funding programme initiated by the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia under the Pelan Strategik Pengajian Tinggi Negara (PSPTN). It aims to to create a pool of brilliant human resources as catalyst for dynamic research and innovation activities. Under this programme the Malaysian Government targets 60,000 Malaysian PhD holders as output.
For further information visit:
3. Student Scholarship from Unplag
Briefly, the key points are the following:
Criteria: In order to be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be:
- At least eighteen (18) years old;
- Currently enrolled in full-time undergraduate or graduate program (current student);
Everyone who is applying should submit an essay written in English following guidelines (details on the official website)
Value: 1 x $ 2,000 (US)
Deadline: March 1, 2016
Application: through online contact form or directly to email@example.com
More information can be found here:
4. MALAYSIAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP (MIS)
The Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS) is an initiative by the Malaysian Government to attract the best brain from around the world to pursue advanced academic studies in Malaysia. This scholarship aims to support Malaysian Government's effort to attract, motivate and retain talented human capital from abroad.
Talented international students with excellent academic records and outstanding co-curricular backgrounds are welcomed to apply for this scholarship and further their studies in any selected and well-established Malaysian public and private universities.
This scholarship is divided into two (2) categories of study: Postgraduate and Post-doctoral Studies
To be eligible for Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS), applicants must fit the following criteria:-
- Not be more than 45 years of age during application.
- Obtained a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 at Bachelor Degree Level for Master’s Degree applicants and for PhD candidates must possess CGPA 3.5/4.0 or very good result at Master’s degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study. In addition, for post-doctoral programme, the selection will be evaluated based on the number of books produced, refereed/non refereed journals, portfolio and patent copyright. The Post-Doctoral candidate must have excellent reputation in research and possesses knowledge related to the research to be carried out.
- Took one of the following English Language Proficiency Test not more than two years before the date of application. The list of tests and minimum scores required:
- IELTS Academic Test with a score of at least 6.5; or
- TOEFL paper-based test with a score of at least 580 or computer-based test with a score of at least 230 or internet-based test with a score at least 92.
- In excellent health condition and certified by a Certified Doctor/Medical Professional. The cost of medical examination is to be borne by the applicants
- Wrote a proposal that is relevant to the needs and interests of Malaysia (research-based programme only)
- Has applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia (conditional letters of offer will be accepted at the time of application or has a confirmation of acceptance or affiliation with the universities in Malaysia).
VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Each scholarship consists of:-
- Air tickets from recipient’s capital city to Malaysia
- An approved tuition fees
- Monthly maintenance allowance
- Annual grant for books and internal travel
- Medical / Health Insurance
- Installation and Termination grant
- Thesis allowance (will be paid at the beginning of research (after proposal defense) and the balance will be paid only upon submission of the thesis) – For PhD and Post-Doctoral only
- A conference travel grant and journal publication grant (PhD and Post-Doctoral only)
* The Government of Malaysia reserves the rights to review the value of awards at any time (and if such changes are made, the value of scholarship will be changed and the effective date will be informed to the successful candidates).
PRIORITY STUDY AREAS
Field of studies is in the following priority areas:
- Science and Engineering
- Agriculture and Fisheries
- Economics and Islamic Finance
- Information and Communication Technology
- Biosecurity and Food Safety
- Infrastructure and Utility
- Environmental Studies
- Health not including nursing, medicine, clinical pharmacy.
* Applicants may choose any related course within the field/areas mentioned above
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:-
- High-level academic achievement
- The quality of the research proposal and its potential contribution towards advancement of technology and human well-being.
- Excellent communication, writing and reading skills in English Language
GENERAL CONDITION OF AWARD
- Scholarship holder must undertake full-time studies for postgraduate and post-doctoral studies at a campus of Malaysian Universities.
- It is the responsibility of the scholarship holders to confirm admission to the university.
- Scholarship holders must not change their programme during tenure of the scholarship except with written permission from their university and the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia.
- Scholarship holders must follow the approved programmes and abide by the university’s rules, regulations and codes of conduct. Any suspension from the university will result in immediate suspension of award. Monthly allowances are not payable during suspension, including suspension due to illness.
- It is the responsibility of successful candidates to apply for and meet the requirements for the issuing of an appropriate entry visa including medical examination. The offer of the scholarship does not guarantee the granting of a visa.
- Scholarship holders must maintain satisfactory progress and good standing as stipulated by their host university and degree programme, or the scholarship will be withdrawn.
- The scholarships are tenable in Malaysian universities and research must be carried out in Malaysia.
- Scholarship holders are not allowed to take any paid employment during their tenure unless with written approval from the host university.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications should be made ONLINE through Ministry of Higher Education’s portal. https://biasiswa.mohe.gov.my/INTER/index.php
When is the application deadline?
Before 20th July 2016
- REGISTER your Passport Number or National Identication Number, password and email address.
- LOGIN to online application form and fill in all section completely.
- Please ensure all information is correct before you print the application and logout.
- Please attach printed application form together with the following documents:
- You are required to complete the two Letters of Recommendation from two referees, Endorsement Form and Medical Report. Please bring printed ONLINE application form and required documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the relevant agency responsible for the MIS scholarship in your country to get the endorsement.
- Recent passport size photograph.
- Completed Medical Report.
- A certified copy of current passport showing evidence of citizenship.
- A certified copy of academic transcript, testimonials and/or references relating to the relevant study, co-curriculum activities, achievements.
- A clear and precise study or research plan
- A certified copy of English Language proficiency certificate (Test of English as a Foreign Language/TOEFL or International English Language Testing Service/IELTS)
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Admission letter from Malaysian University.
- Two letters of recommendation from two (2) people who can act as referees to support your application.
- Endorsement Form.
- Scan all documents stated above in PDF format and LOGIN to MIS Online Application. [How to convert documents to PDF format]
- You are required to attach the documents and click SUBMIT button to submit the application. You will see the notification message when the process is done. All the application is fully online. No hard copy is required. Bring the hard copy of application form and original certificate during the interview session.
For further enquiries, please contact us:-
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION MALAYSIA
LEVEL 2, NO 2, TOWER 2
JALAN P5/6, PRECINT 5
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATIVE CENTRE
Phone : +603 8870 6000 (click here for extension)